When you have illness that runs in your family, it’s easy to feel powerless to genetics, but we have much control over our health. It’s estimated by the World Health Organization that as much as 80 percent of chronic diseases are lifestyle-related, leaving only 20 percent to genetics. Diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure are just a few of the big lifestyle-related epidemic illnesses that are sweeping our nation. Even dementia is now being connected directly to lifestyle.
What exactly does ‘lifestyle’ mean?
It relates to the seemingly simple, innocuous choices we make every day:
Do we prioritize being active and push back on convenience-focused environments (ie. cars, remote controls, alexa, etc.)?
Do we proactively manage stress in our non-stop days? (Think spending time in nature, practicing gratitude, meditation, etc.)
Do we make time for healthy meal prep or get-by with ordering meals made by others where we don’t truly know the cooking methods, ingredient quality, etc.?
Over years, it’s our lifestyle choices and habits that make or break our health.
One of my favorite health axioms:
What we do most of the time matters most
Good news? We have so much control!
Check out this hopeful summary of the latest research about dementia and how it can counteract our dementia risk.
And for a final dose of inspiration, check out this 1-minute video about aging and being an intentional caretaker of your well-being.
To your good health!
Certified Whole Health Coach
Certified Personal Fitness Trainer