John Lennon perhaps wasn't referring to health when he made the profound observation that's so relatable about how years can pass so easily and life change so quickly.
Being intentional with healthy lifestyle habits that will carry us into our later years is critical for maintaining quality of life and mobility, with just 20 percent of chronic illnesses (i.e. diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc.) being hereditary. That leaves an astounding 80 percent of these maladies being within our control.
Every day we have an opportunity to choose well and send our bodies messages of care and respect by the food we consume, the exercise routines we follow and the stress management techniques we engage in.
Those daily choices, while seemingly small, multiply over weeks, months and years. Just like we don't suddenly wake up with 20 extra pounds, the impact of neglectful choices appear slowly as we are busy with life and operating in a kind of default mode.
Living as a purposeful caretaker of your personal health—that’s what I'm passionate about inspiring people to be.
Responding to catastrophic health alarms such as a heart attack (if you're so lucky to get a chance to make adjustments) is a much more difficult approach.
May the words of John inspire us all to be intentional with our lives. May we 'make life happen' and not one day wake and wonder 'what the heck happened?'
To your good health!
Certified Whole Health Coach
Certified Personal Fitness Trainer
P.S. This inspiring one minute video (created about Canadian healthcare) perfectly and dramatically illustrates the difference between intentional and reactive health. Warning: Viewers may need tissues.
P.P.S. If you're inspired to make changes to your health and want to explore the support and accountability that a coaching partnership can offer to help you go further, get in touch to arrange a no-obligation, free 30-minute whole health coaching consultation.