With so many diets to choose from and rampant exaggerated health claims of their results, how do you know which diet to follow?
Here’s a one-question, multiple-choice quiz to help simplify things:
Which is the best all-around diet that offers balanced nutrition
along with fast and lasting weight loss?
b. Whole 30
d. Weight Watchers
e. All of the above
f. None of the above
If you selected 'f' or the ‘none’ option, you’re right. There's no perfect diet for weight loss. Every body and lifestyle is unique, so finding what works for you is the answer.
Here's the thing though: There's a fundamental flaw in the mentality of diets.The idea that one can follow a specialized eating plan for a period of time and then stop is problematic, as is the idea of being ‘on’ or ‘off’ the diet or ‘cheating’. What happens too often is while the restrictiveness of a diet might produce fast initial weight loss, it doesn’t address the fundamental lifestyle issues that lead to a weight problem. It sets us up for regain and then feeling like we've failed.
Here’s the insider info:
Study after study has found the Mediterranean diet
and DASH diet, which are really more lifestyle ways of eating and not ‘diets’ offer the most effective weight control approaches. They are whole foods focused, sensible and balanced ways of eating.
Here are a few key elements of successful and sustaining weight loss:
- Connecting to the things you value. This is what provides sustaining motivation. It’s about finding your personal why. Forget willpower; It’s fleeting. Your WhyPower beats it every time.
- Being consistent. Small changes lead to big and lasting benefits in the long run. You move a mountain one bolder at a time.
- Finding and maintaining energy balance. This comes from a combination of moving more (calories burned) and eating less (calories consumed.)
- Being human: If you overindulge, learn from it, forgive yourself, quickly rebound and get back on-track and re-focused.
- Being patient with yourself & the process. New habits take time to build & stick.
Want more? RSVP for my August 26 free wellness talk & mindful eating experience. Details here: https://www.whypoweredcoaching.com/new-events
To your good health!
Certified Whole Health Coach
Weight Management Specialist
Personal Fitness Trainer
P.S. If you need support and accountability for leading a more active lifestyle, get in touch; as a certified whole health coach and personal fitness trainer, I can help!